Arky's Cave

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

open horizons

I was at the Shang, a few minutes ago. I walked into Starbucks and was ordering my grande mocha frap and i noticed this girl sitting behind me talking to these people.

Man, she was gorgeous!

I got my order and sat two tables away from her table--- there was no other place to sit and waiting for the rest of our people to meet. That span of time, which was really just two minutes or something like that, really tempted to walk up to her table. She was obviously in a meeting herself.

Man, how I wished it was any other time.

Our people slowly arrived in--- the top dogs of our little consortium (I was the youngest by a good thirty years difference between all of them). And we began our meeting, After reporting to our big guns that our previous campaigns were going no where--- since the target was now in the business of reorganizing and talks of merging with similar institutions in the region was in the works. The risks of moving forward with the deal was just way up high.

As we moved forward with our agenda--- I couldn't help but pan my eyes towards her. Its crazy really, half my mind was processing the information being delivered by our finance guy in relation to our new proposal--- to divert our funds to a new acquisition. Today is one good reason to be thankful at having the mental capacity to process two things at the same time. Its hard to be diverted from the real money we were talking about, but half my mind was glad it was towards this woman I don't even know.

In between the lull of business talk, we had a moment of joking around talking about last week's success of our university basketball team (go La Salle!) because half the people in the meeting were Alums from our bitter rivals (the Ateneo) and half from my alma mater. Even then, my attention was still in the direction of that woman.

I wished today was a Sunday and I was sitting alone drinking coffee and that she was sitting alone doing the same thing so I could walk up to her and strike up a conversation.

Lesson of the day? The adrenaline rush of business means nothing sometimes, even business such as ours. And like what an old buddy said, this may mean, open horizons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home